- 2015-08-21: 50% less server load with MongoDB on the Drupal 7 site factory at France Télévisions
- 2015-07-15: Our first Drupal 8 production site at France Télévisions is live
- 2014-08-18: 400% speedup in 3 weeks for http://france3-regions.francetvinfo.fr/ : who said Drupal back-offices had to be slow ?
- 2014-02-07: Sotchi Olympics traffic not a problem for http://www.francetvsport.fr/ , which I rearchitected on Drupal 7 in 2013
- 2011-09-14: Completed migration of FranceInfo.FR from SPIP to Drupal
- 2011-07-13: The new social network features of Le Figaro are now powered by an OSInet-designed MongoDB implementation
- 2010-12-21: Madame Figaro brand new site by OSInet and others
- 2010-08-16: France.FR is back online with OSInet and Typhon
- 2010-06-15: the new France Culture, which OSInet helped reach its performance goals, is now online
In case you've been living under a rock, DrupalCon Paris is happening next week, and features, not one, but two Views Sessions, in addition to merlinofchaos' own CTools sessions on Panels 3 and CTools. One of them being, of course, by yours truly :-)
2011-08-06: UPDATE: now available from my drupal.org sandbox
After a massive user import to a customer's site, said customer noticed that, while he could see any user profile when logged, he could only see some of them when he was not logged in, receiving an "access denied" on the other accounts.
Now, with the
administer users permission, a user can see any profile, so this didn't come into consideration, but since anonymous users could see some profiles and not others, the permissions granting anonymous access to the profiles were obviously set up correctly. So what could be wrong ?
For a recent case, I had to define the behaviour of a system with a lot of independent conditions to check, which could trigger any number of a set of messages and actions on data, and all of this based on a plain english (i.e. non algorithmic) description of the data, which only covered the most commons scenarios for these conditions, leaving lots of undefined combinations of inputs. What's one to do in such cases ?
There are also a lot of blog pages all over the web, which I'm trying to gather here. I'm opening comments on this page so if you find any good page elsewhere, please add a comment about it so it can be added to that list.
It is usually considered a given that "private" downloads, going through Drupal, are slower than "public" downloads, which can be served directly by Apache, or whatever web server the site is running on. This is indeed true in the general case; however, for low-cost hosting, this apparent axiom needs to be revisited.
I recently had to install Drupal 6.x for a french government agency on a low-cost hosting plan. Although the site performed reasonably well considering the limitations of the chosen hosting plan, I soon noticed it was missing mod_deflate and mod_expires, which caused pages to be served uncompressed and every static file to be served without an expiration date.
And, of course, the site had quite a few images: photos on most pages, and several logos at the bottom of each page.
Now, when mod_deflate is missing, using the "Page compression" option on
http://example.com/admin/settings/performance is a good workaround for the download page size, but what about the static files ?
Checking a few cheap hosting plans, it appeared these limitations are actually quite common. And without mod_expires, there is no way to tell Apache to serve static content with specific headers. Luckily for us, with Drupal we have a trick up our sleeves, the so-called "private" file downloads.
Spending most of my web time in Opera, I had noticed that on one of my PCs, hovering over a hypertext link (i.e.
<a href="..." ...>) had ceased displaying the target of the link in the UI, and there didn't seem to be a setting to make it appear again. Even when upgrading, that annoying behaviour kept stuck.
As one can expect, it turned out to be simple to fix, just not obvious in the Opera UI. Here is the procedure:
The problem : Drupal awfully slow on Vista (and Seven) with Wampserver
For some time now, I'd been severiously annoyed by the (utter lack of) performance of Drupal 6 and 7 on my home PC, which happens to be running Microsoft Vista: considering I was used to getting page times around 200ms on a fractional Celeron with Apache 2.2 on a Linux server hosted comparatively far across the net from that same machine, I felt the 5 to 15 seconds response time per page on this local machine with a quad core and 3 GB RAM were really making me lose my time.
After some time spend googling around, I stumbled upon an incredibly simple tip, which made the 5 to 15 seconds per page drop down to around 1 second when logged in, and well below 500 ms when not logged in. It's incredible what ONE single character in a plain text file gets you under Vista :-)
UPDATE 2010-01-23: David Hogg tells us (see below) that this works for Windows Seven too
So at long last, GW8 is becoming reality :
As a long time developer on GroupWise (hey, I did this even before I started on Drupal !), I'm glad to see the product evolve. And already a planned upgrade for a customer :-)
Now, if I could find a project merging both... to this day, I've only used Delphi, both with OLE and SOAP, to communicate with GW.