The release of Drupal 5 today comes at a time of the year where one makes wishes, and obviously I wish the best for Drupal, be it for our new production workhorse Drupal 5, or its hardly conceived descendant Drupal 6.
So while there's still time for wishes in Drupal 6, here is a selection of three grand wishes :
- the recurring comments-as-nodes, users-as-nodes, projects-followups-as-comments[-as-nodes] should iterate once more, combine with terms-as-nodes as in Category.module, and give us a unified model with unified hooks. After all, what's so different between loading a term, a user, or a node, when one forgets the code for a second and thinks of the grand schema of things ? Each of these is created is a CRUD object of a sort or another, and generic hooks could be used for creation(hook_insert), retrieved (hook_load), updated (hook_update), deleted (hook_delete), instead of having these hooks PLUS hook_user, and hook_taxonomy.
- with larger Drupal sites becoming commonplace, logging becomes more important. A unified logging API could be created to unify the various logging bits like accesslog, watchdog, or the zeitgeist search log (OK, this was in my battle plan for 5.0, and I could never find the time to write it, but who knows...)
- I finally manage to code something remotely useful for core. Or is that one really too far-fetched ?
- write a small module that will use
node_formso that it contains a field in which you can add whatever metadata you wish.
- modify your theme file so that it outputs these additional data
- Metadata, the module nodewords for drupal does this already and is pretty good. No extra module writing seems necessary. It is just something so fundamental that I think that it should be in core, and
- the link checker, the main thing that I think would be useful is checking links to other sites (although internal links are also an issue). External links are fundamental enough to websites that this could also be considered for core.
I know that I'm new to drupal, so I may be off base (and it might already be in drupal 5). Also I'm not very good at modifying themes in Drupal, but the only fix for that is practice.
Thanks for responding to my wishlist.